Button to scroll to the top of the page.

(RTA) Request for Travel Authorization and
(RFS) Request for Services at McDonald Observatory


1. You must fill out an RTA even if it is no expense to UT if you will be gone from your post (your job here at UT) for more than half a day.

2. You must submit an RTA at least two weeks in advance of your trip

3. If you state on your RTA that you are "making own travel arrangements," please include your travel details or submit after making to travel@astro.as.utexas.edu so we can confirm whether we need additional information to assist in your timely reimbursement.

To submit an RTA and/or RFS, please use one of our web forms:

  • All other UT personnel and non-fee-based visitors who have completed an RTA (VE5), fee-based visitors (APS), and non-UT-funded visitors on business (cash, check, or credit card):
    Request for Services at McDonald Observatory   (RFS only)

    The RFS form is to be used for official business travel only.

What is an RTA?
"Prior approval for all business travel is required for absences from the campus (or other designated headquarters) for periods of half a day or more during the normal working period, whether or not there is a cost to The University."

What does "No Expense to UT" mean?
[What does it mean if I don't give an account number and check that box?]
No Expense to UT means all the money from the traveler's trip will come from his/her pocket or other non-UT source. This includes all expenses incurred with transportation, lodging, fuel, meals, and miscellaneous items.